Mosley Common is a suburb of Tyldesley at the far-eastern edge of the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan, in Greater Manchester, England. Historically part of Lancashire, it was anciently a hamlet in the east of the township of Tyldesley cum Shakerley, in the ancient parish of Leigh. The area of Mosley Common in 1747 was 34 acres (14 ha) statute s
The original name for the area was Hurst or Tyldesleyhurst (hyrst is Old English for "wooded hill") It was called Mosseld Yard in 1301. Mosley the clearing on mossy ground. In 1695 the Common was part of the Tyldesley Manor. In 1698 Parr Bridge or Mosley Bridge was rebuilt in stone.
In 1831 R. Worthington of Mosley Common built a weaving shed with 60 pairs of looms. Parr Bridge Mill built in 1859 was a weaving shed, it had several owners and continued working into the 1950s.
In 1838 City Pit and Gatley Pit owned by the Bridgewater Trustees at New Manchester not far from the border with Worsley were working, New Manchester, not far from Ellenbrook is sometimes referred to as the "City". Deep mining arrived in the area when Mosley Common Colliery owned by the Bridgewater Trustees was sunk in the 1860s. In 1896 Mosley Common, "Nos. 1, 2 & 5" pits employed 748 men underground and 85 surface workers. Coal was mined from the Brassey, Crumbouke and Seven Foot mines. "Nos. 3 & 4" pits employed a further 406 underground workers and 57 above ground. Coal was got from the Trencherbone mine. By 1919 it employed over 2,000 men. It was part of Manchester Collieries from 1929 to nationalisation in 1947 and was a national show pit during the 1950s. Mosley Common Colliery closed in 1968.